Last week was our second week to play. We were the visiting team and up to bat first. We were hitting the ball well. I even hit a home run!! And then it went downhill after that. Our team went out in the field and second base is the last spot open, so I took it. Back in the day I played second base, so I thought no problem. Everything was going well. We had two outs. Runner is on first. Ball gets hit to the third baseman. Runner is coming my way, and she is the closest out. I get in position and see the third baseman wind up to throw the ball. Then it happens. The ball hits me smack in the middle of my face. I instantly went down and blood gushes from my nose. I sat there for a few minutes dazed with eveyone huddled around me. I couldn't figure out how that could have happened. Apparently I need to practice catching the ball. Ryan gets mad at me because I swipe at the ball instead of just letting the ball come to the mit. I am told that the ball did hit my glove before hitting me. That makes it a little better than if I just missed. I finally got up and off the field to try to get the bleeding to stop. It took a long time. I called Ryan, who was at Hunter's ball game, and the first thing he says is, "What did you break?" I told him my nose and he comes back with, "Why didn't you catch the ball?" I wish I could answer that question myself. My face instantly swelled up, which I think is a good thing because it went numb and I couldn't feel the pain. I decided that instead of paying an ER copay I could wait until morning to get looked at since I am fortunate enough to work at the doctor's office and we have xray equipment there. They took xrays and I have a deviated septum. At least I don't have a crooked nose. If, after the swelling goes down, I still can't breath it may have to be fixed, but hopefully it will be okay. My face has changed colors everyday, but has not been too painful. Thank goodness. Ryan has been very good to take care of me and I appreciate him so much. I have realized there are simple tasks I have taken for granted since they now all cause pain like breathing, blowing my nose, and small facial movements such as squinting. It is getting better though. Here is the progress of my injury:
Day 1 Right after it happened

Day 2 Very swollen
Day 2 Very swollen
Day 3

Day 4

Day 5 Today. The color is now starting to fade
Day 4
Day 5 Today. The color is now starting to fade


14 comments:
Oh my gosh Wendy - those pictures are horrible!!! lol I bet people were staring at Ryan thinking he was a wife beater. Ouch! :)
Oh Wendy- Now that just doesn't look fun. You poor girl. That totally seems like something that would happen to me. I hope it doesn't hurt too bad. We will pray for you to get better.
UGH!!! That's why I don't play ball - I can't catch EVER!! That still looks awful! I'm glad you are laughing and blogging about it! Hope you are feeling better! And, I'm jealous you hit a home run! Way to go!
Tara
OH MY HECK!!! You poor thing! You seriously look hot :) I can honestly say I feel your pain because I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was 12 playing YW softball, but I was on 3rd base. And mine bounced off the mit too. But I ended up getting stitches under my eye.
Oh, and remember the time with the "Purple Wheelbarrow" dance in Sparkettes??? Yep, me and Joanna dancin away and holding it above our heads doing the turn and down it comes, smack dab on my nose! I have pictures that look JUST like yours! Ahh the good ol days!
okay okay okay- I have to tell you this..Do you remember when Shay had a black eye during the season? Well she missed a pop fly in the outfield and I know this is sad but every time I looked at her I couldn't help but laugh, you win though. Your pictures are priceless! Now I really feel bad, it looks like it hurts a lot. O and now you can finally say you broke something right? I hope you heal fast- and still come to our games. We love having you there!
Kelsie
Ya know I used to have a hound dog. Her name was Audry and well your pictures kinda remind me of her!(:
I am so so sorry!! That is just another reason I will never play sports. I will leave it to the boys is my family:) I'm glad you're feel better. Keep us posted
OMG....that looks soooo painful. As I was reading you post I was chuckling to myself but then I seen the pictures and no more laughter...you poor thing! Hope you get feeling better soon.
Wendy, Wendy, Wendy, first off congrats on your home run!!!!! I hope you are feeling much better. It is amazing how fast you loss some of that ability by not playing for awhile. I am glad you at least got to play. You have been saying you wanted to for some time. Better luck next game. I know you and I know that game won't be your last. Go get em Girl!
Oh my goodness! What a sport! I can't imagine how much that hurt. I think I would have beat Jed if he said, "Why didn't you catch the ball." That is too funny. I hope you get better soon!
So, how has your next game gone? I am sure this hasn't stopped you from playing. Cute pictures and good memories. Hope you are feeling better by now. It is summer and I haven't checked the blogs for days.
Oh my goodnes Wendy! That is so crazy and looks so painful. I'm glad that you are ok. My word you need to be more careful. I hate the thought of you getting hurt out there. That is the number one reason I am not good at sports. I wish that I were but I'm too chicken to get hurt. I know you were a tough cookie and handled it well and I know you'll get back out there and play again. Good for you but yes next time just duck. No just kidding. Love you.
Wendy!! Oh my gosh! You are so brave! I am so sorry and hope it gets better soon!!
Ahhh! So sorry!! That just looks so painful! i can see that totally happening to me- but I am so not as coordinated as you are! Hope it feels better now! you're a trooper!
Post a Comment